Monday, April 14, 2014

5) In order to control all of the above, I must then run the recording through a de-noiser, dynamic


I send the Pianoteq sound and the Kawai sound to a mixer and then out through two Yamaha HS80M Powered Monitors.
I have stopped using all Kontakt Pianos, including the Scarbee Rhodes and Wurlitzer, as they  were not nearly as realistic on Kontakt as they were w/ Gigastudio. But I have an excellent realistic Upright sound, a perfectly tuned Grand, grewat Rhodes shoe racks and organizers and Wurly, D6 too. But I changed the mics and settings on every preset w/ the exception of the clean perfectly tuned Grand. I only brought the mics in closer as I have no use for Native Reverbs as I have Hardware and DSP I prefer. But PTeq 4.1 has come a long way and is my live favorite. I also have some really good sounding sfz Barbetta powered Midfields, and I know they are a big help with PC based sounds... Native tends to have it;s sound eminate form the rear of larger cabinets, so I disable the mediocre effects, and try to run everything close mic'd and dry. Give my Native spounds some Balls...
I use pianoteq for all my pianorecordings that I post on youtube or soundcloud. There is no piano that sounds this good in my household I always play it on my homemade digital piano, so I can play on an actual acoustic shoe racks and organizers upright action. For example I love exercising chopins etude op. 10 no. 1 on pianoteqs pleyel, as chopin himself used to play on pleyels It is very cool to have the ability of playing historical instruments on a modern piano action. I find it quite exiting to play instruments like a harpsichord shoe racks and organizers with dynamics shoe racks and organizers and different shoe racks and organizers hammer hardness for light and heavy attacks. I also think pianoteq is the ideal instrument shoe racks and organizers to compose for the piano with headphones. But it doesn't happen often, that I do so. A friend of mine (piano teacher) would like to have pianoteq for his composing work, too.
I have daily access to a Steinway Model M and a K. Kawai grand, on which I and my piano students practice and give recitals.  Would you care to know on which instrument I make most of my recordings?  No, not the Steinway or K. Kawai -- most of my recordings are made via Pianteq shoe racks and organizers PRO Version 4.
1)  Ambient noise cannot be controlled:   Heating and air conditioning vents, outside road traffic, other people in the building, etc., wreak havoc on my live recordings of acoustic grand pianos.  One only needs to "listen" through headphone monitors to hear hiss and other ambient noise that cannot be eliminated through the microphones.  (This is not a soundproofed recording studio; shoe racks and organizers rather it is a church shoe racks and organizers setting.) shoe racks and organizers
2)  Reverberation is hard to control:   Surely the church setting has natural reverb, but to deal with its constant presence, I need to position the microphones to a distance too far away from the piano to have reverb to be heard (rendering too "wet" of a piano sound), or position the mikes to closely to the piano to get rid of reverb (but then hearing too much directionality and mechanical piano noise -- Steinway's infamous 1980's teflon bushings, piano bench squeaks -- plus whistling nose hairs(!) from the pianist).
4)  The natural shoe racks and organizers dynamic range of the piano tends to be too wide for my recording equipment:   If I reduce shoe racks and organizers the recording level to avoid percussive signal overload, shoe racks and organizers then the balance of a given piece is recorded too quietly.  shoe racks and organizers I tend to attempt shoe racks and organizers to modify my playing style, so as not to overload the signal, nor bury the pianissimo passages in the room noise.
5) In order to control all of the above, I must then run the recording through a de-noiser, dynamic multiband compressor, equalizer, etc., etc.).  By the time all of the electronic trickery has been completed, the sound of the real piano does not sound as naturally as can be achieved by Pianoteq! 
6)  The pianos at my disposal (nominally 5'7" and 5'8") shoe racks and organizers are too small to compete with the sounds of concert grands.  These pianos' low strings are very lacking in their fundamental frequencies, and they sound comparatively "twangy" to 9' concert grands (and Pianoteq).  Excessive bass tweaking only "muddies" the final sound and ruins dynamic range.
7) In my own opinion, the recorded sounds I am able to achieve via Pianoteq PRO Version 4 (albeit mostly shoe racks and organizers in classical repertoire) more closely approach those of commercial recordings, rather than my rather futile attempts to record the sounds of real pianos at my personal disposal.
P.S.  I personally believe that my access to real pianos helps the way I am able to emote via Pianoteq.  Pianoteq behaves very closely to the way I am able to play on good quality, properly maintained grand pianos.
As followup to the posting made directly before this one, I overlaid the audio outputs from two performances of Ravel's Alborada -- one made live by Yours Truly on the Steinway M mentioned above, and a second shoe racks and organizers live performance shoe racks and organizers of the same m

No comments:

Post a Comment