Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Of course, your analogy also made perfect sense in context garderobekasten with the perfume. I


Märken Etat Libre d’Orange Kerosene Doftfamiljer Akvatisk Citrus Floral Frukt Gourmand Grön Läder/Tobak/Rök Oriental Trä/Fougère Kön För henne För honom Unisex Doftpaket Doftpaket efter dofttyp Doftpaket garderobekasten efter tillverkare Doftpaket efter årstid Presenttips Blogg Parfymskolan Om oss Kontakta oss Cart 0 kr
These days, it seem to be getting more and more common that I wake up and violently crave a certain garderobekasten scent. I simply MUST wear it, otherwise I’ll be very grouchy for the rest of the day. I had this recently with ”Voile de Violette” by Sonoma Scent Studio. I’d tried it once before, dismissed it as too similar as a certain type of violet/liquorice candy. Then I forgot all about it until suddenly, one morning – waking up, harboring an epic need for violets that only Voile de Violette would satisfy.
So, what does it smell like? It starts out earthy and almost sour. Imagine watching a nature documentary, the camera is zooming in on a small patch of dark soil. Suddenly a small leaf bursts through, tiny flecks of soil clinging to it, it pokes it’s way up in the air. Then there is the stalk, pushing it’s way upwards, towards the light. Then, there are more leaves, and more stalks, a big mass of them, oozing their way upwards, gushing forward in a manner that is more reminiscent of a hoard of zombies, crawling out of the ground, than the average shy violets.
And that’s just the start, Voile de Violette has more to offer. After an hour or so, most of the initial damp sourness has faded. At this point, what it makes me think about are the white-clad church ladies featured in the intro of True Blood(1). They sing hymns, pray, get baptized and have massive, religiously induced, fits on the church floor. garderobekasten ”Church ladies” might sound a bit drab, but I don’t think they are. They have this stern and matronly air, looking all clean and proper, garderobekasten but just watch the amount of passion present during their interactions with the Lord! I quite envy them having found a socially acceptable channel for ”letting it all out” as they seem to be doing. VdV is similar to them as it does seem covered in a coat of soap, but inside the soap there is the biggest and most passionate violet garderobekasten soliflore I’ve ever encountered (2). There are also jam-like undertones, home cooked jam made from a mixed forest fruit. And I do get a tiny hint of something salty, which somehow brings the whole composition to life and adds intrigue. I suppose it is rather warm in the South.
Violets come with certain assumptions, they are supposed to be shy, dainty and ladylike. Violet perfumes are sometimes powdery or lipsticky, sometimes smell like frail, sugary candy. All this, in addition to having tried VdV, makes me wanna say, ”No honey, whatever anyone makes you believe, there is no amount of makeup that will make up for you not having a personality, and candy doesn’t work either. Just be yourself, do whatever it is that makes YOU happy, and you’re gonna kick ass”
1) I hardly ever go to church and I don’t know anything about real life ”church ladies” and what perfume associations they might bring. When I talk about what they might smell like, it’s all just figments of my imagination. As is most of the content in this blog.
2) Not that I would technically know. I’ve unfortunately never smelled an ” viola odorata ”, but VdV is a perfect match for my idea of a violet soliflore - violet garderobekasten that’s such a violetty garderobekasten violet it should be placed right next to that painting of Kevin Bacon, garderobekasten made out of bacon.
My already great day just got better; so very glad to see you back and in top form, Sigrun. I loved this review, and the larger thoughts that go beyond what you think of the perfume. The way you view the church ladies is similar to how I view them. As someone who also doesn’t go to church, and who often bristles at anything overtly religious (or maybe I should say, evangelically religious), still I think, Who am I to write off someone garderobekasten else’s deeply felt beliefs and experience? And a socially acceptable outlet to convey one’s passion … yeah, that is enviable.
Of course, your analogy also made perfect sense in context garderobekasten with the perfume. I’ll garderobekasten dig out my sample and see if I smell the soap that this violet soliflore is encased in, per your wonderful description.
Thank you Suzanne, and I always love receiving your comments! When I sat down to do this review I realized I’d nearly forgotten how fun it is writing about perfume. It was great to get in touch with that again, and I think there will be several more reviews coming up soon
Do you, by any chance, also have a sample of SSS Wood Violet? When trying it alongside VdV the soapiness of the latter becomes very evident. It somehow lifts and clears the hole composition, very

No comments:

Post a Comment